Saturday, August 27, 2011

Musical Instrument Museum


Last week I went to MIM (Musical Instrument Museum) with my grandma and her 2 sisters. It was so interesting. They have instruments from every country and music playing from those countries.


This concert grand was made from burl wood. It was beautiful (and gi-normous)!!!




My favorite was a metal piano made by Steinway during World War 2. The factory was retooled to produce wings, underbodies, tail assemblies and other parts for U.S. combat aircraft. Steinway was given special permission to build this model: the G.I field piano. Over 2,500 of these were sold to the U.S. government starting in 1942. They played a key role in maintaining troop morale and proved their worth amid incredible climatic challenges and actual battle conditions. 

I loved this because I am really into metal furniture from that era. I have a metal bed and military issue dresser from that time as well. I never knew they made metal pianos, and I will propbably never own one, but it was still really cool. I also loved how a big company gave up their factory to help win the war. How many companies would do that now (they are mostly in China now anyways)? I appreciate their patriotism, selflessness, and love for their country.



~ ~ ~

We ate lunch in their cafe and the food was arranged so cute. It also was very delicious!
peach cobbler

garlic roasted turkey sandwich with swiss cheese. Yum!!!

* * *

I just thought this was cool so I took a pictures of it. The marble stairs were spiraled around this map sort of thing.





Finally, the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment